Saturday, December 23, 2006

Moving from Advent to Christmas

You can have the fourth Sunday of Advent as late as December 24, and tomorrow that is the case.

One needs to think very intensely about the anticipated arrival, and then, within hours, we are required to talk about that very arrival.

My theme in the morning is on the excitement we find from the altered expectations. We thought God was going to take one action, but then, we are surprised, and I pray excited, by the delivery. I can't help but wonder how much of the expectation excitement isn't driven at least in part by the change from a more communitarian messiah to one that is more individual. I am sure that D'Toqueville, if here, would find me pretty normal American on that one.

In the eve, I plan to use the John Buchanan essay in the mid-month Christian Century on the gift of love that is the Christ Child as the center piece for my reflection. That message will only be ten minutes, and many will want to get past the building of the manger scene we do, and move on to the Silent Night with Candles all churches do on the Eve of Christmas. My theme will be that borrowed from Buchanan and 1 John 4 -- that it is a gift of love that is with us and in us daily. At Stratmoor (my church) we say We celebrate Easter every Sunday. Well, I am prayerful that we are both excited about Christ's presence in our lives, and willing to recognize the gift that we have been given. I would hope we also Celebrate Christmas Eve every Sunday.

Peace be with you ....

No comments: