Saturday, December 30, 2006

First Impressions

We had a visit from a youth this past Sunday who is hoping to go into ministry.

He was quite candid and said he didn't like my preaching style. He said that he would have preferred a "more biblical style".

Hears me once, and he knows my style? I smile and say I guess that is possible. But in reality, his comment did make me reflect a moment or three on the whole issue of first time visitors and what causes them to come back.

What does cause someone to return for a second visit?

I do routinely ask those who I see again who do not come back and I get a variety of responses ... some of which in the short term I might be able to do something about ... but many... are a function of a small church with a limited array of programmatic options.

We do get a fair number of visitors -- usually three to four a month. Sometimes they show up in clusters and other times, strung out more regularly over a month. My guess is that about one in four, one in five come back at least once more. One in ten or so, come back a third time. The third time is the charm -- we have made a relationship and I think as a practical matter they will be back a fourth, fifth, and other times. Our growth in membership and attendance has been due to this group coming back, and making up for losses to the military permanent change of station rhythm and pure moves in order to follow their professional lives. We seem at times to be a three step forward, two step back routine.

But this reflection is about first impressions, and I am prayerful that we can create a positive first impression. At the same time, I ask people to give us two, three shots before saying that Stratmoor isn't for them. I sometimes feel guilty when I am poorly prepared and we have two or three visitors. I feel like my poor preparation contributed in some way to us not making a connection. That having been said, I have had people come back after a poorly prepared sermon. Ya know -- maybe it isn't about me!

The reality is -- I know it isn't.

Peace be with you ....

No comments: