Monday, December 25, 2006

Excitement and Energy are functions of Preparation and Practice


I have been quite surprised that on those infrequent occasions when I have had to preach twice in a day, I actually had the energy to do it. The contrast in relaxation and energy is also noticeable. I often feel better about what I feel I am called to proclaim the second time, than the first. Yesterday evening was a good example of this. I really felt more relaxed and at the same time more energetic for the 7:00 Christmas Eve service, rather than the 5:00 service.

But is this about the energy level of a 58 year old part-time pastor or something else?

I vote something else.

I think part of what I am reflecting on is a commentary on the value of practice -- and here I mean the practice of actually saying what I am going to say. Getting myself into the mode of standing there and saying it seems to make it better (duh). I can be more exciting, more engaged, when I have practiced the sermon in the space. I need to covenant myself to do that more frequently.

For me, the key to how if I feel connected or not with the listener is how prepared I feel like I am. The more prepared I am -- and here I think eight to ten hours of preparation is about what is needed -- the more excited and the more energetic I can be. And the more excited and energetic I am, the more I feel like the Word that is passing through me, has a chance of connecting with those around me. It is interesting how often this comes back to relationship. Over and over again -- relationship seems to be a key, if not the key. Here, my relationship with myself is a function of my relationship with the topic, and when I am secure with myself, and the topic, I am able to better establish relationship with those who are there to here the Word proclaimed.

I have to think this is a lesson relearned, rather than learned, but that a goal I have to have for 2007 is more conscientious time devoted to preparation and making the worship hour fun, exciting, interesting, and maybe just maybe, challanging. But fun, excting, intersting and challanging, are just indicators of -- Did we establish a relationship?

May you have a peaceful, and blessed day.


No comments: