Sunday, July 23, 2017

Understanding our Nature


There is a story from Medieval times  ...

Two monks were washing their bowls in the river when they noticed a scorpion that was drowning. One monk immediately scooped it up and set it upon the bank. In the process he was stung. He went back to washing his bowl and again the scorpion fell in. The monk saved the scorpion and was again stung. The other monk asked him, "Friend, why do you continue to save the scorpion when you know it's nature is to sting?"

"Because," the monk replied, "to save it is my nature."

I see myself in this story as both the scorpion and the monk.

For about half of my life in the military, it was my called nature to be a scorpion.  Leaders used my nature to sting people who messed with the policy views my corner of the military was putting forward.

Let's make no mistake about my effectiveness:  I was a very good scorpion.  My scorpion nature was recognized on the day of my retirement with a Legion of Merit, the second highest level of recognition for non-wartime competency.  For sure, it doesn't say 'we are recognizing Dennis for being a scorpion' but that is what it was for, pure and simple.

But I confess, I did not like that nature of myself that was called to be a scorpion.  On July 1st, 1994, I decided I was being called, invited perhaps, to have a different nature. The road from that day to this has not been easy, but it has by and large, been fruitful.

I am still working on the exact details of what it means for me to "save" are but at the end of the day, the nature of who I am is more about nurture and care, than stinging and pain.  I am still a work in progress here.  

I would hope that we can agree that our nature is not static, fixed and locked up for life. Isn't change what we expect to happen when we take part in spreading scriptural holiness across the land? Wesley saw it as this beautiful threefold fullness of Grace which is Prevenient (preceding bending our knee to God), Justifying (saying to God, 'Abba, Father') and then getting started on our life project of Sanctification ('thy will be done')? 

Paul is dealing with the basic nature of the church in Corinth when he discusses with them the idea of the "body of Christ" in 1st Corinthians 12.  The debate is about gifts and how those gifts fit into lifting up the body for its true purpose.  The issue is how this body works in totality, not in its individual parts. Our nature is to see ourselves as the most important but Paul is trying to bring this group of individualist focused leaders over to a more communitarian, common good, approach.  

I love sports, and Paul's 1st Corinthians 12 passage works in terms of sports -- baseball in particular -- but it also works in terms of music.  The church is an orchestra and the woodwinds are not more important than the strings. Yes, we could have an entire orchestra of woodwinds, but if we did, we wouldn't ask the other sections to show up for that piece of music.  The church is like an orchestra but not only in terms of instruments themselves, but also in terms of the need to listen to each other and to perform together.

Music performed by groups that is about 97% right, can still sound pretty bad.  

Music has a high expectation for suppression of the individual for the nature of team and community.  A man with perfect pitch who couldn't count, once told me that I was not singing an A flat in the right sequence, and while he was right, he was singing the right A flat at the wrong time. The right note at the wrong time, is the wrong note.  

I bring all of that up, just to explain that my nature is to focus on the group, the community, and trying to stay in harmony and on pitch at that time.  

My nature is also to endeavor to try and honor the community rather than the individual.  

Offering a team oriented thought to Paul's imagery from 1st Corinthians 12, a former left fielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers, Manny Ramirez, would do odd things during a game.  When asked why Manny was doing this, his manager, (now) Hall of Famer Joe Torre would say "it's just Manny being Manny."  

Paul is saying to the church in Corinth that 'Manny just being Manny' is not the way for us to be church.

If Paul were in the 21st Century, he would probably see by and large the nature of the US Congress in his dealing with nature in the church in Corinth.  I have heard Congress described as 535 Valedictorians who still think they are the smartest person in the room. 

To my way of hearing some of the current debate in the (almost) Untied Methodist Church, it is this "Manny being Manny" at one level (it's just who I am after all), meeting "I am the smartest person in the room."  And the meeting at times has collateral damage.  People -- logically I believe -- feel cutoff, estranged, and not welcome.  

Here is what I aspire for as it relates to  all focused on a constructive dialogue about a hopeful future i.e. #nextmethodism, #dreamumc, & #CurrentUnitedMethodism, is that we can alter the nature of our dialogue so that we can truly speak to each other.  I hope that we can speak to each other in such a way that opens space for dialogue, rather than closes it off.  Please know that my observation here is not restricted to "either side."  The nature of vitriol is not isolated to one side.  The other day, I took a generic invitation to be in dialogue on this topic to be totally sincere and welcoming; I replied; and felt welcomed.  Thank you.   

I personally have gotten to a place where I think retaliatory jousting with sharp spears is making all of us blind. At some point, the 'he started it' must give way to shared values within the social capital built up over time. The Common Good matters. Or at least it does to me.

We seem to be using the US Congress as the model for dialogue, rather than Paul/1st Corinthians 12. At some point, our using the US Congress as the model for how we are in dialogue needs to be rejected, discarded and called out for what it is: sinful. 

The UMC through all of these renewal efforts -- #nextmethodism, #dreamumc and remembering where we are #CurrentUnitedMethodism -- should model what we aspire to, not sink to increasingly lower and lower levels of snark and combativeness. 

As soon as somebody says 'but they started it, and besides that have you been reading how mean they are' dialogue leaves the room, and we move to monologue. In effect, they might be saying the right note here, without regard to time, is this offering [whatever it is], and I wonder if they understand the idea of the right note, at the wrong time, is still the wrong note? 

I am in. I want to be in this conversation. I was invited in by inference by Dr. David Watson, but I was also invited in by colleagues across the connection: "your voice needs to be present here." 

But I return to my confession at the start of this: 

I did not like that nature of myself that was called to be a scorpion. On July 1st, 1994, I decided I was being called, invited perhaps, to have a different nature. The road from that day to this has not been easy, but it has by and large, been fruitful. 

My purpose with this particular blog today is to frame the nature of how I hope we can converse, and what the nature will be that I will use in this conversation ... 

Peace be with you ... 


Selah, Dennis





No comments: