Saturday, April 02, 2016

Happiness Doubled by Wonder -- November, 2015 Musings

Psalm 118:24:  (New Revised Standard Version) “This is the day that the Lord has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.”

"I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought, and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder." G.K. Chesterton (1874-1936), English writer, journalist and Christian apologist.

When I step out before you on Sundays during worship, I offer Psalm 118, verse 24. I have been doing this since November, 2003 when I was first asked to lead worship every Sunday. My theology is that our worship of praise to God includes our gratitude for God’s loving kindness.

November is thus for me an anniversary of being in servant leadership in the church. I like that the anniversary comes in a month when we have so many occasions to show our gratitude. Let’s look at some of these.
  • All Saints Sunday is November 1 and is an opportunity for us to show gratitude and appreciation for those who have gone on before us. I see this as saying thank you to those who have served and shaped us by serving the church.
  • This year Dedication Sunday will be celebrated at Hilltop on November 8. We will be asked to make our personal dedication to ‘The Church’ in the form of pledges of time, talent, and treasure. I would hope that all of us can show our gratitude and appreciation for Hilltop by committing anew to support her in her ministry of Grace. This year we follow quite quickly with a chance on November 10 to celebrate our progress during our annual business meeting.
  • November 11th is a day of remembrance for those who have served our country. By serving the nation, they have served us.
  • Then we have Thanksgiving Day. This originally had religious origins but it has become more secularized. I routinely encourage all to rekindle the attitude of gratitude at Thanksgiving that started off as a thanksgiving to God. Marilyn and I will get to see children and grandchildren as well as my brother and a future new sister-in-law. It will be packed, intense, and grand.
The Chesterton quote above speaks to us. It is so easy for us to be self-absorbed and see the world only through our eyes. We are, after all, at the center of every experience we have, right?  How might we allow that doubling of happiness by our own wonder?  For me it centers in the Psalm 118, verse 24 to ‘rejoice and be glad in the day the Lord has given us.’ 

I am mindful that all of us struggle with dark forces, some more frequently and darker than others, but know this:  all of us struggle. But we have within us the capacity to turn darkness into light. That capacity is sparked by the piece of God that is in each of us that is in no one else, and the process of us learning how to allow that inner light to be turned on, or left dark is ours. I vote daily to ‘rejoice and be glad in the day the Lord has given us.’  I pray you do as well.

Selah, Pastor Dennis


No comments: