Monday, August 29, 2011

Small Groups



Yesterday was our annual United Methodist Women's Sunday.  

My reflection yesterday could be broken down into three major parts.


First I offered a history, as best one can offer five different stories that meld into one story in 1968, of what is now the United Methodist Women (or as they are commonly called -- The UMW).  The critical points here were that women at one time went to the early versions of the UMW because the church was run by men and this was a place for women to be independent of that male dominance.  Their focus then was places like India, Africa, the Philippines, etc.  Notice much of this is outside our normal national boundaries  Thinking of service only within our country is not how the UMW started, and they are not defined that way today. 

Within this framework I commented that our UMW was increasing in numbers and was younger in age, noting three young women who are now active here.  In so many ways, Stratmoor is a special place that is doing things positively different, and our UMW (growing and younger) is illustrative of that difference.   

The biblical text framing the discussion was from John 20: 19-23 (NIV).
On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jewish leaders, Jesus came and stood among them and said, Peace be with you!” After he said this, he showed them his hands and side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord. 
Again Jesus said, Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.”  And with that he breathed on them and said, Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”

The UMW perceived its mission as being sent.  I used this passage to reinforce the idea that what the UMW is doing is biblical and should be sustained.

The second point I made was focused on small groups.  How did the disciples know what to do as they were "deployed" out in to the world (I used deployed as a substitute for "sent" as my image, knowing that in a military based population, this would resonate)?  They had learned it in the small group that was Jesus and his Disciples.  The UMW is in effect a small group, a classically Wesleyan accountability group that helps its members grow in their discipleship through various means, not the least of which is accountability.  I lifted up the UMW as an example of what I hope to see everyone at Stratmoor become part of in some kind of way:  a small group.  I mentioned that I ask our choirs and mission ministries to be ministries that include growth in discipleship and holding people accountable (in a loving, caring way).  This is an important part of our growth as Christians.  

The last part of my reflection was drawn extensively from this 10 minute presentation by the Women's Division of the General Board of Global Ministries (UMW Mission and Vision).  This is quite good.  I encourage all to view it.  

I am proud to be the pastor of a church with a strong UMW.  Those who worship at Stratmoor should be proud of our UMW.  I pray that other groups will be as effective in small group ministry that includes growth of discipleship and accountability.  

Selah.    






No comments: