Friday, December 03, 2010

Baseball Stuff

Well, here we are in the midst of the Hot Stove League.  I occasionally can get into conversations about football, both pro and college, but my true love is without a doubt, baseball. 

My favorite team is the Atlanta Braves.  Right now, the General Manager Frank Wren is trying to re-tool his team so that it can compete with the Philadelphia Phillies in the National League East. 

So often I see an article on the Atlanta Journal Sports pages and I see comments by people who basically suggest the baseball equivalent of acquiring a new Cadillac and giving up a used Volkswagen with 200K miles on it.  They want value and they want to give up nothing to get it.  I read those comments and wonder what game they are watching?  It doesn't seem to be the game I think I am watching in the 21st Century. 

The other thing I see often is a borderline desire to have the "perfect" team.  A 2010 equivalent of the 1927 Yankees.  That was, in my opinion, then, and this is, in my opinion, now.  The beer baron who built the 1920s era Yankees was not dealing with the free agency and unions that now form the back story of this wonderful game.  We might want to see the 1927 Yankees, but in 2010, even the Yankees can't build the 1927 Yankees.  Players have choices at some point where they play and teams have limits on how much they are going to pay.  Would I want Nate McLouth, a disappointment in 2010, to be a key offensive cog on the Braves?  No, but at the present time, I don't think the team has been constructed where he is a key offensive cog. 

Just a thought.  Not intending to be too serious here today.  Just a thought, or maybe a vent on mindlessness. 

No comments: