Sunday, November 22, 2009

Music

I am in a 35 voice choir. My undergrad degree was music ed, but I was a instrumentalist.

My earliest memories of being in "band" was how much the music seemed to touch my inner parts. I wonder if that wasn't the beginning of a life long love of being part of the creation of sound. I say that to some people and they remark "you mean compose?" No ... I mean, taking someone else's musical thoughts in abstract on a piece of paper and move it to sound.

Choir adds a dimension that instrumentalists don't have ... words. The words matter ... making the "c" a little harder to give it intensity is part of it,but the real key is the poetry itself.

Somewhere I once read an article I can no longer find, that said the ancient Greeks would not allow politics and music to be combined. It was too powerful a source of emotion they thought. Maybe I dreamed that. Maybe I was in a parallel universe. I don't remember where I saw it, but it seems true.

I find that being part of the making of music fills my soul.

Peace ...

No comments: