Sunday, October 25, 2009

Metrics

At our "lock-in" with the Bishop this week, one of the things she asked us was: what metrics were we willing to be in covenant with the Methodist leadership to achieve?

I think it was a way of asking us: What does fruitful look like to you?

We have in the last year had a major jump in attendance. We started a second service, our target was young adults with children, and it is working. Many of them seem to have some connection with Fort Carson. It took right at fourteen months for that jump to occur, it didn't happen over night.

I would also like to see us more involved in caring for a recently released prisoner from jail. They have a tough life and I wonder if a community of faith couldn't work in some kind of way to make their lives get restarted a little easier.

But I also think a metric I would like to see us get measured on is our own growth as disciples. Clearly, we need to be more intentional in how we go about furthering our knowledge of the bible and the theological discourse surrounding it.

Is her question also a way of asking us: where are you willing to be held accountable? Why do we resist accountability so vigorously? I don't mean all of us, but many. Is there some theological issue we are wrestling with that says "I don't want to be held accountable for very much".

I am going to ponder that ...

No comments: