Monday, January 29, 2007

Time of Talents, Treasures and Time

Our stewardship focuses on three things: Talents, Treasures and Time.
For me personally, of those three, I lose focus on my time the easiest.
I let my time get away by reading too much stuff on the internet. Political magazines also help get in my way with my time management. I confess: I am a political junkie.
But besides being a political reading junkie, I also have this enormous problem with the word no: I don't like to say it. Pastors aren't supposed to ever utter no, no?
The reality is that I need to learn how to say it a lot more frequently.
Look at where I am now: two days away from needing a sermon and the day of a long scheduled class, and nothing on the printed page for either. Why? A near total inability to say no.
The issue is of course about knowing how to erect appropriate boundaries. We don't want inappropriate boundaries which cause people to see you as unapproachable. On the other hand, we don't want inappropriate -- and here is the real rub -- ineffective -- boundaries that simply don't work.
I do respect others who seem capable of setting boundaries and keeping them up when needed and allowing them down when that is needed as well.
My guess is a goal for life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I strongly believe that a "Pastor's responsibilty" to his congregation is to spiritually feed them. This is easier said than done...

Anonymous said...

Comment 1 by: Bobby Jr