Thursday, February 15, 2007

Our Mission Statement -- a Reflection

What I liked about the Lyle Schaller text, The Very Large Church, was some clear ideas about growing the church. It was his analysis of “here are some churches that grew and here is why I think they grew” that I liked.

Maybe because it came at a time that I was also dabbling with Thomas Oden’s Turning Around the Mainlines that those two texts in conversation seemed to force me to review the idea of "what is it I believe".

With the clear understanding that Schaller has more than clarity of beliefs on his inventory of things that cause a church to grown, both Oden and Schaller seem to have some measure of orthodoxy in mind. At least in clarifying what it is we believe – within limits is how I would see it.

I do think part of Methodist Orthodoxy is in the questions. I like living in the questions. I like the lack of clarity at times, but I do think we need to have a clear set of principles we are operating from in order to be able to cast our vision for the congregation. My lack of knowing precisely what is true at all times may drive my congregation a little to distraction … but it makes me saner at the end of the day.

I wonder if my military experience here isn't useful? I would say that our ability to digest large amounts of information and latch onto what was important was important, but it wasn't the key principle. I think it was more about how we understood the mission and our ability to communicate that mission objective to others. My Lincoln as Psalmist may reflect some on that, I need to look.

Clarity of guidance, delegation of authority, and the ability to expect and lead in a coordinated fashion towards the common goal are all things that relate to pastoral leadership that I think I draw from the military. My days at Fort Benning, the question always ways: What is the mission? You needed to be able to articulate a mission in a brief, understandable mission statement. I think that is one of the most important elements that came to me (my wife is retired military as well) through my years in the military. Define the mission – apply resources to that mission – measure the progress against that mission through the means at hand. The mission is accomplished by a team (“there is no me in Army, there is no I in team”). There is this tension between charismatic powerful leadership and subordinating your self to the greater good (glory?) of the team (the Body of Christ?).

Verbs matter when you listen to the commander. I see the overall church's mission statement very much in the verbs of Matthew 28:19-20. Go – make – baptize – teach. I certainly wouldn’t want to be pedantic about the order of the verbs – but our mission statement is found in those verbs and I wonder if it isn’t in that order – go (leave where you are) – make (use our skills in order to help the master potter with the clay that are others) – baptize (symbolically ask them to die to this world and come to live in a world that has a new focus) – and we provide that focus – by teaching.

I also noticed that the last verb in Matthew 28:19-20 was left out – teach what, to obey! I wonder if there was a reason I left that out? Obey what? In "red letters": Obey all that I have taught you!.

And I see those as supported by a frame work of God’s love. My own story of coming to Methodism was through Rick Needham – working through the Wesleyan tradition (Nazarene). Theological Principle 101: God loves us, just as we are (John 3:16-17) – and there isn’t a darn thing we can do about it ….

A lady came into Stratmoor about four to five months ago. Many things going on in her life, and I wondered if we could be of assistance. I told her I thought the primary thing we could offer her was a better understanding of God’s love and that she was special in God’s eyes. I asked her a few weeks ago how she felt about herself given where we had traveled these past few months – she said far better than I would ever be able to understand. Her smile told me it was spoken in love.

Hope. Somewhere in our mission statement – the discipling/teaching we do has to have a component of hope generation in it – or we are not projecting God’s message.

While all I was doing was reflecting God’s love, it was a nice testimonial. That was my compensation for that week.

I do see much grey between the black and white on the biblical page. But the words in the Word are important, in fact, they are almost everything we have in order to carry out our mission … as framed for us by our experiences (personal traditions), our traditions (corporate experience), and our own reason (notice it is last in this).

No comments: